Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:20:58 -0700
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   smbios.ko probes successfully if i disable acpi sysresource, fails if i do not

Hello;

as you may know i am attempting to use fbsd's smbios functionality to
support porting the linux i8k-utils dell smbios keyboard and fan stuff.

i just discovered today that disabling sysresource allows the module
to attach.

so, here's the part that i'd love some help with understanding:

1. with acpi enabled, is smbios.ko supposed to be asking acpi for a
resource handle or something?

2. is acpi_resource.c behaving in error? should it not be consuming
the smbios startaddr?

note that startaddr for smbios is 0xf000, bios.c looks for pnpbios
and pcibios starting at 0xe000 and completely ignores smbios.

it seems to me that either statement 1 or 2 is correct, but not both.

of course, i could be totally wrong, can anybody enlighten me?

tnx!

johnu