Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:43:25 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        software@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support)
Cc:        spork@super-g.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: S/Key interfaces export restricted?

> > > I'm hacking one-timer passwords (S/Key) into popper for limited
> > > road work; if the s/key interface is not export restricted, I'll
> > > be happy to submit the patch back into the port collection (and
> > > to the original authors, if they  accept such input).  The
> > > changes will, of course, be "#ifdef SKEY".
>
> spork wrote:
> > Before you do this, you might want to check qpooper, erm qpopper.  While
> > it can be a bit wacky at times with bulletin delivery, it includes s/key
> > support if built from the port:
>
> I didn't know that -- clearly, I didn't look deep enough.  I saw it had APOP
> support, which is the standard, but didn't notice the S/Key.
>
> > -|super-g|-$ telnet pop.inch.com 110
> > Trying 207.240.140.101...
> > Connected to pop.inch.com.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > +OK QPOP (version 2.4b2) at arutam.inch.com starting.
>
> For reasons which now escape me, I hacked straight 2.4, not the beta, so maybe
> a change was made in between.
>
> > <27325.890940269@arutam.inch.com>
> > user spork
> > +OK s/key 86 ut16018
>
> Unfortunately, I may *still* need to hack the bloody thing.  The client is
> Netscape Communicator, which definitely doesn't understand APOP or (it
> appears) S/key, and so the "bad password" message in pop_pass.c needs to
> include the s/key challenge for the user (since Netscape only reports error
> messages, not OK responses.)    Maybe that was fixed in the beta as well.

Before going too much farther, you should read about the POP "AUTH"
command in RFC1734.  You can get a copy at:

	http://www.imc.org/rfc1734

The AUTH command is the correct way to add support for authentication
types *other* than USER/PASS or APOP.

You may also want to look at the existing CRAM-MD5 extension, which is
described in RFC2195:

	http://www.imc.org/rfc2195

You may also want to look at RFC2078 (GSSAPI) and RFC2222 (SASL), which
deal with generalizing the authentication API.  Specifically, there is
alread a registration for SKEY for SASL, which is described in the
context of an IMAP session in RFC2222, section 7.3:

	http://www.imc.org/rfc2222

The IANA registered types are updated at:

	ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/sasl-mechanisms

You should notice that the SKEY registration is "owned" by Netsacpe:

	John G. Myers <jgmyers@netscape.com>

So at a minimum, there's probably already a plugin for Netscape to
support this.

In general, if you can't find a standard for doing something, you're
probably not looking hard enough.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---