Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 20:07:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Ken's list account" <lists@lists.symmetric.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld failure

Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua> seems to have written:

> Hello, Crist J. Clark!

> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 03:22:52PM -0800, you wrote:

> > > mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist -p /var
> > > mtree: line 63: unknown user smmsp
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > ====
> > >
> > > what is wrong here?
> >
> > You don't have a user smmsp in your passwd(5) database. Update your
> > master.passwd(5) and group(5) files and try again.
> Shouldn't it be done by mergemaster? I think that build/install should
> not depend on this kind of things, or there should be note in handbook
> (&& | ||) UPDATING that mergemaster should be run _before_ installworld.

PRTAM  (Please Read the Awesome[*] Manual)

Cf. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
viz. subsection 19.4.3.

-- Salvo

[*] People used to say RTFM (F standing for 'fine').  Over the past few
months, however, the FreeBSD handbook has become a work of art^W^W^W^Wreally
awesome :-)