Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:50:25 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   FPS probs with bt848 driver

     As I mentioned briefly in the last post, I took a stab at fixing FPS
in the driver.  I got it to where it seems to work OK for single-field, but
for double-field, it's still hosed (it didn't work for either case with the
old driver).

     It could sure use the eye of someone more familiar with the Bt848 than
I am.

     To reproduce the problem, run Fxtv 0.43 with "fxtv -fps 1" in direct
video mode, and then zoom the window.  One of the fields tracks at 1 fps,
but the other still cruises at 30fps.

     My hacked version is up on the fxtv page at:
http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv/bt848.970604.tgz.

     About this version.  It's a small mod to the 970424 driver.  When
running at the default of 30 frames per second, it's effectively identical
to the 970424 driver.  With fps < 30, it's got some fixes to work right at
least for single-field (fxtv height <= 240 pixel rows).  Duel-field (rows >
240 && <= 480) is still busted as I described.  Also, this modified version
turns off temporal decimation for CAP_SINGLEs (freeze frame) so apps can
get a good freeze without having to muck with the FPS setting in the
driver.

Randall