Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:10:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nico De Dobbeleer <nico@elico-it.be>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-pf Digest, Vol 263, Issue 3

From: "Nico De Dobbeleer" <nico@elico-it.be>=20
> I just finished installing FreeBSD 7.x with pf in transparant bridging=20
> mode as the servers behind the firewall need to have an public=20
> ipaddress. Now is everything working fine and the FW is doing his job as=
=20
> it should be. When I nmap the FW I see the open ports and closed ports.=
=20
> Is there a way the get the FW running in stealth mode so that isn't=20
> possible anymore with nmap or any other scanning tool to see the open or=
=20
> closed ports?=20

There is no "stealth". If a service responds to a request the port is=20
"open". If not it's closed.=20

Helmut=20

------------------------------=20

Message: 3=20
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 18:22:41 +0200=20
From: " ?? " <bunchou@googlemail.com>=20
Subject: Re: freebsd-pf Stealth Modus=20
To: "Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de>=20
Cc: Nico De Dobbeleer <nico@elico-it.be>, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org=20

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:23:09 +0200=20
"Helmut Schneider" <jumper99@gmx.de> wrote:=20

> From: "Nico De Dobbeleer" <nico@elico-it.be>=20
> > I just finished installing FreeBSD 7.x with pf in transparant=20
> > bridging mode as the servers behind the firewall need to have an=20
> > public ipaddress. Now is everything working fine and the FW is=20
> > doing his job as it should be. When I nmap the FW I see the open=20
> > ports and closed ports. Is there a way the get the FW running in=20
> > stealth mode so that isn't possible anymore with nmap or any other=20
> > scanning tool to see the open or closed ports?=20
>=20
> There is no "stealth". If a service responds to a request the port is=20
> "open". If not it's closed.=20
>=20
> Helmut=20

There is: just use "block drop" in your pf config or "set block-policy=20
drop" (see man 5 pf.conf). This effectively stops sending TCP RST or=20
UDP unreach packets.=20

------------------------------=20

Message: 4=20
>>> I just finished installing FreeBSD 7.x with pf in transparant=20
>>> bridging mode as the servers behind the firewall need to have an=20
>>> public ipaddress. Now is everything working fine and the FW is=20
>>> doing his job as it should be. When I nmap the FW I see the open=20
>>> ports and closed ports. Is there a way the get the FW running in=20
>>> stealth mode so that isn't possible anymore with nmap or any other=20
>>> scanning tool to see the open or closed ports?=20
>>=20
>> There is no "stealth". If a service responds to a request the port is=20
>> "open". If not it's closed.=20
>=20
> There is: just use "block drop" in your pf config or "set block-policy=20
> drop" (see man 5 pf.conf). This effectively stops sending TCP RST or=20
> UDP unreach packets.=20

Consider a webserver where you pass HTTP and "block drop" SSH. 1 port is=20
open -> host not "stealth".=20

But even if you "block drop" all incoming traffic to a host, if a host is=
=20
really down (and therefore stealth) the hosts' gateway would send an ICMP=
=20
type 3 packet (until you didn't cripple ICMP as well).=20

While sometimes it might be useful to "block drop" it has nothing to do wit=
h=20
being "stealth".=20

Helmut=20

------------------------------=20

Message: 5=20
> >>=20
> >> There is no "stealth". If a service responds to a request the port=20
> >> is "open". If not it's closed.=20
> >=20
> > There is: just use "block drop" in your pf config or "set=20
> > block-policy drop" (see man 5 pf.conf). This effectively stops=20
> > sending TCP RST or UDP unreach packets.=20
>=20
> Consider a webserver where you pass HTTP and "block drop" SSH. 1 port=20
> is open -> host not "stealth".=20
>=20
> But even if you "block drop" all incoming traffic to a host, if a=20
> host is really down (and therefore stealth) the hosts' gateway would=20
> send an ICMP type 3 packet (until you didn't cripple ICMP as well).=20
>=20
> While sometimes it might be useful to "block drop" it has nothing to=20
> do with being "stealth".=20
>=20
> Helmut=20

Not replying to a probe in the mentioned way is exactly what is=20
commonly referred to as "stealth mode" by consumer firewalls. Just try=20
a simple google search for "stealth firewall" and you will see.=20
Besides, if only a few (uncommon) ports are open, a limited scan is=20
unlikely to find them, thus calling it "stealth" (aka "low=20
observability" according to wikipedia) is appropriate imho. There is a=20
difference between stealth and invisibility.=20

------------------------------=20

Message: 6=20
>>>=20
>>> There is: just use "block drop" in your pf config or "set=20
>>> block-policy drop" (see man 5 pf.conf). This effectively stops=20
>>> sending TCP RST or UDP unreach packets.=20
>>=20
>> Consider a webserver where you pass HTTP and "block drop" SSH. 1 port=20
>> is open -> host not "stealth".=20
>>=20
>> But even if you "block drop" all incoming traffic to a host, if a=20
>> host is really down (and therefore stealth) the hosts' gateway would=20
>> send an ICMP type 3 packet (until you didn't cripple ICMP as well).=20
>>=20
>> While sometimes it might be useful to "block drop" it has nothing to=20
>> do with being "stealth".=20
>=20
> Not replying to a probe in the mentioned way is exactly what is=20
> commonly referred to as "stealth mode" by consumer firewalls. Just try=20
> a simple google search for "stealth firewall" and you will see.=20

I know the term "stealth firewall" very well. It's a worthless marketing=20
buzzword. It suggests users that it could prevent an attack or even the sca=
n=20
itself. Neither is correct. This is what I wanted to point out and I was=20
encouraged by the fact that the OP was talking about "stealthing" open=20
ports.=20

-------------------=20
Already many thanks for the info. I'v added already the "set block-policy d=
rop".=20
I'v done an nmap and it's apparently able to find out the setting below of =
my pf FW:=20

MAC Address: 00:0E:2E:xx:xx:xx (Edimax Technology Co.)=20
Warning: OSScan results may be unreliable because we could not find at leas=
t 1 open and 1 closed port=20
Device type: general purpose=20
Running: FreeBSD 7.X=20
OS details: FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE=20
Uptime guess: 0.000 days (since Wed Oct 07 16:02:00 2009)=20
Network Distance: 1 hop=20
TCP Sequence Prediction: Difficulty=3D260 (Good luck!)=20
IP ID Sequence Generation: Incremental=20
Service Info: OS: FreeBSD=20

Is there a way to block this info?=20