Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 00:09:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM (Vincent Poy)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/fstab file screwup.

Hi,
> 	I accidentally while doing a backup forgot to replace the
> /etc/fstab file with the original one so now the system won't boot up, is
> there a way I can rebuild /etc/fstab without reinstalling from scratch?

Yes.
You should boot in single user mode by entering  -s  to the boot prompt.

In single user mode the root file system will be mounted read only.
The /etc/fstab lives in the root file system so you have to mount it
for r/w access.
You do it by
	# mount -o rw -u /

Then you can edit /etc/fstab with the  ed  editor. If you feel uncomfortable
with  ed you can mount the /usr file system and use vi.

wishing you success

Wolfgang Helbig