Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:06:27 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Guilherme J. R. Oliveira" <guilherme@nortenet.pt>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Production Machine, Custom Kernel, Updating to P9

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:30:30 +0000
"Guilherme J. R. Oliveira" <guilherme@nortenet.pt> wrote:

> >>What could happen if I don't stop the services: the file won't be
> >>updated because it's open or what ?
> >

> > No, it will get updated. We don't have advisory locks, we have
> > cooperative locks. The only thing which can happen is: the service
> > segfaults, dies, hangs, aborts, stops, produces garbage or continues to
> > operate as usual.
>
> Umm, I'm asking this because I'll need do this remotely.

I always update remotely... but with a helping hand a couple of seconds
away from the machines, in case I forgot to do something important (so I
can tell them to load the old kernel or to guide them to bring the
system into a state where I can login remotely (e.g. once after
deinstalling sshd from the ports collection after updating the system to
a version on the secfix branch I got interrupted for some minutes and
forgot to enable the system sshd in rc.conf)).

> So it's "secure" installworld remotely and then remotely reboot the
> machine ?

You have to read UPDATING carefully. And you have to make sure the
kernel config contains everything you need to at least boot into some
kind of multi user mode where sshd runs to be able to login and maybe
fix some mistakes (e.g. there's an entry in UPDATING which tells you to
include miibus in some cases (for fxp), if you fail to do so, there's no
NIC accessible...).

> This way we load the fresh binaries daemons in memory.
>
> I was confused thinking the binaries (in disc) weren't updated if we had
> the daemons running.

It depends. I know some specific programs where overwritting them (with
"cp") doesn't work when they are running. But so far I don't know of
such a file in the set of binaries in the base system (and installworld
uses "install" instead of "cp"). The only problem with an installworld I
had was in low diskspace situations.

Bye,
Alexander.

--