Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 20:43:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anil Jangity <aj@entic.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw question

I am using FreeBSD2.2.8 Stable with IPFW enalbed with logging.

ipfw: 2600 Deny P:54 204.210.42.217 209.157.122.88 in via ep0

What does the "P:54" mean? Just wondering.

--

Also does anyone know if IP Filters (or ipfw) let you limit logging
depending on the rate at which the rule is applied?

If I don't have a limit, my server panicked before because of an overload
of denied packets (while logging was enabled) so I now have a limit of 150
packets that get logged. I want to be able to log at the same time also
not over log (not get it to run out of buffer and panic).

I need to stop logging if and only if the rate at which they rules are
getting applied passes a certain point and then continue again once the
rate drecreases.

Is this doable? Do I make sense any bit? Is this stupid? Thanks.

Kind regards,

Anil Jangity
aj@entic.net

"Work like you don't need money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one's watching." by Lisa Wille?