Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 10:15:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Peter Larkowski <peter@larkowski.net>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 problem

On Sun, 4 May 2003, Peter Larkowski wrote:

> I'm new to alphas (only had this machine for about a week), but not to
> freebsd.  I'm running 4.8-Stable from just a couple of days ago (April
> 30) on an AlphaPC 256DP 666Mhz single processor.  I can't get X to
> start.  It is version 4.3.0 built from ports.  It just hangs.  The log

Some random things you can try are 1) move the card into different slots
and see if it works there, 2) disable most of your modules in your
XF86Config file, and 3) try

Option     "Int10" "False"

in in your XF86Config file in the 'Device' Section when using your matrox
card.

I really have no idea if these will actually help - X and various cards
seem to be hit and miss on alpha and some combination of these things
helped me get my millenium II card working.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.