Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2017 10:31:18 -0500
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Create a truncated icosahedron with gnuplot or metapost

On Sunday, August 27, 2017, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 27/08/2017 14:51, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear freebsd-users,
> >
> > In looking for a way to draw a royalty free soccer ball with open source
> > software like gnuplot or metapost, I have found a promising page
> >
> > http://math.lbl.gov/voro++/examples/platonic/
> >
> > I have to run the programs there, but the problem becomes how can we
> shade
> > the pentagons in black.  We can create a sphere in gnuplot, but to change
> > the faces into pentagons and hexagons?
> >
> > http://soukoreff.com/gnuplot/
> >
> > I have found a nice page that uses java to draw a soccerball
> >
> > http://www.hoist-point.com/soccerball.htm
> >
> > If somehow the github code can be converted to metapost?, or generated to
> > get the points and then get the shading correctly.  I hope someone can
> > help.  I have also looked into metapost extensions by Anthony Phan m3D
> > package
> >
> > http://www-math.univ-poitiers.fr/~phan/m3Dplain.html
> >
> > And unfortunately I do not know enough of metapost coding, other than
> > copying examples and run them on my machines.  Is there a nice idiot
> proof
> > way of drawing a soccerball or a truncated icosahedron with gnuplot or
> > metapost?  If anyone can help/advice/suggest please share your thoughts.
>
> Is it specifically a truncated icosahedron you want, or a soccer ball?
> Because there's this:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Soccerball.svg
>
> which is freely available under a creative commons license.  You should
> be able to use an application like Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/en/)
> to manipulate that image.
>
> There's many other examples of soccerballs available, or indeed
> truncated icosahedrons.  Just google for 'soccer ball clipart svg'
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew
>
> I actually want to be able to draw either but on my own pc and not copy
any image out in the www.  I would like to draw the soccerball using
metapost or gnuplot.  Then include it in a tex/latex document.  I had a 2d
image with points using gnuplot, but it is not mathematically precise.  A
better image of better quality and I can use my own machine to create it is
what I am looking for.  Someone has helped generate a soccer field in 3d
with metapost, I have created a soccerfield using gnuplot, but I do not
have a nice soccerball to include it.  The 3d image hopefully can be used
to make a shirt as many of our students do not like what the designers
provide.  A nice accurate picture generated with precision is what is
needed.  I appreciate some thoughts as well.  There is a soccerball
generated by tikz on stackexchange, but I do not have texlive on my machine
sadly.  It is to our advantage to have it on gnuplot or metapost as
students can see the mathematics behind it.

Best Regards,

Antonio