Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:33:22 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS vs OSX Time Machine

Does anyone else use ZFS to store TM backups?

I find that whenever my laptop (over wifi!) starts a TM the ZFS machine =
it's backing up to grinds to a halt.. Other systems streaming stuff over =
NFS from it also tend to stall..

I presume that TM is doing something which causes ZFS some issues but =
I'm not sure how to find out what the real problem is let alone how to =
fix it..

I am running FreeBSD midget.dons.net.au 8.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD =
8.2-PRERELEASE #8 r217094M: Sat Jan  8 11:15:07 CST 2011     =
darius@midget.dons.net.au:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MIDGET  amd64

It is a 5 disk RAIDZ1 with 1.29Tb free using WD10EADS drives.

I don't see any SMART errors or ZFS warnings.

I have the following ZFS related tunables

vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"3072M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=3D"1"=20
vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=3D5
vfs.zfs.cache_flush_disable=3D1