Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2004 21:26:40 -0800
From:      Matt Staroscik <matt@wrongcrowd.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble rebuilding array on 3ware 7000 (twe)

I need a hand from a disk guru as I am having some problems with a 7000-2
mirror under 4.10. I last built the stable branch a couple of months ago.

My 3ware Escalade 7000-2 has a pair of Maxtor 160GBs on it. I run them
mirrored. The other day, a drive bit the dust. As the disk was well and
truly hosed according to the Maxtor utilities, I chucked it and dropped a
replacement into the RAID. The replacement disk was the exact same Maxtor
model. (these were all cold swaps by the way, no hot swap cages here yet.)

At boot I hit alt-3 to get into the 3ware BIOS and I started the array
rebuilding. All seemed well. The 3dm web page indicated a rebuild was in
progress. Disks were chugging.

After a few minutes, the rebuild stopped and the 3dm web page showed
"error." The console showed an unhelpful twe0 Disk Error message.

- Is it still the case that a 7000-series 3ware cannot successfully rebuild
under FreeBSD? I found year-old mailing list traffic that mentioned this,
and suggested a Knoppix Linux live CD as a workaround.

- Might a bad block in /usr kill the rebuild? a dump of /usr (single user
mode) did show 2 read errors, which were accompanied by twe controller
failure (0x40) error messages. However, the system did not display any
other problems.

Here is my 7000-2 version information, from 3dm. (which I now see is
deprecated... do I need to install the 3ware CLI tools?)

Monitor version: ME7X 1.01.00.036
Firmware version: FE7X 1.05.00.050
BIOS version: BE7X 1.08.00.046
PCB version: Rev3
Achip version: 3.20
Pchip version: 1.30-33
Model: 7000-2
Unit count: 1

Many thanks in advance for your ideas. With half a RAID I am running on
borrowed time. At least a SMART probe of the remaining drive only shows 2
errors!

Best,
Matt S.
Matt Staroscik * KF6IYW * mstar@speakeasy.net * http://wrongcrowd.com
"The combined weight of the horrors I have authored wrought would crush
your carbon hearts into perfect diamonds of terror."
                                         -- Leonid Kasparov Destroyovitch