Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2018 13:30:59 +0100
From:      Ole <ole@free.de>
To:        Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>
Cc:        "Isaac (.ike) Levy" <ike@blackskyresearch.net>, freebsd-jail@freebsd.org, luke@solentwholesale.com
Subject:   Re: Jails routing and localhost

--Sig_/9m=9awIGJvzL=okddLDyW=3

Hi Dewayne,

Fri, 19 Jan 2018 10:36:43 +1100 - Dewayne Geraghty
<dewayne.geraghty@heuristicsystems.com.au>:

> If you're paranoid, I also add a firewall rule to restrict traffic
> from/to specific ports and IP's over lo0.=C2=A0 If you have anything
> sensitive you might also consider this restriction.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Though I =
would
> recommend using "tcpdump -ni $INTERFACE" to learn how jails and
> routing works in your environment.=C2=A0 I was surprised to observe: when
> two jails are assigned IP's on their external interface the traffic
> between, expecting to use their external interfaces, traverses lo0.=C2=A0

Until now I thought that Jails with two different /32 loopback
addresses can not communicate over loopback. Because it is /32. But you
are right. I need a firewall rule to block traffic between the jails.

> PS Sadly there are many examples of ports using 127.0.0.1 instead of
> localhost, there are 104 different files in the Samba 4.7 suite that
> use 127.0.0.1 :/

Yes. I think there are two standards. On is like Isaac told RFC 3330.
And the other one was "vote with the feet" and is localhost =3D 127.0.0.1
There is too many software with this address hardcoded. So it is a
security feature that software will not bind to public IP by accident.

I wonder why it is such a difference if the IP address of the host
is /32 or not. And I cant' just change it to /24, because than I
couldn't reach the other Server in this /24 Network. And some of them
are also mine :-(

Ole

--Sig_/9m=9awIGJvzL=okddLDyW=3

--Sig_/9m=9awIGJvzL=okddLDyW=3--