Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:21:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Swindells <rjs@genrad.co.uk>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dfeustel@mindspring.com, karsten@rohrbach.de, sepotvin@videotron.ca, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for ARM processor

[Removed -hackers from reply]
>On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:49:16AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
>> Strongarm-based pcs designed by Chalice Technologies http://www.chaltech.com
>> are available from  Simtek http://www.simtec.co.uk/

>This brings up the issue of reference platform for the StrongARM port.
>There is no one clear choice as there is for the PowerPC.  Realistically,
>we probably need to pick an easily obtainable consumer StrongARM product.
>The Compaq iPaq comes to mind.  However, it is not development-friendly
>at the moment as it does not have peripherals such as built-in NIC, hard
>drive, or serial console capabilities.

I would suggest that at least two reference platforms are needed.

The Compaq iPAQ is very different to a Netwinder/CATS/DNARD class
machine since it uses the SA1110 rather than the SA110 + 21285.

If anyone has got one, the Intel IQ80310 board is another potential
target. Anyone developing new network or server products would use
the 80310 instead of the SA110.

The iPAQ is extremely developer-friendly IMHO. Compaq CRL do a very
good job of providing documentation and firmware for it. The same
firmware also supports the Jornada 720.

>Of all the products I know of, I like the CATS board the best.  However,
>the last time I investigated the CATS board, they were very expensive and
>hard to find in the USA.  For some reason $600 stands out in my mind.  I
>know of 10+ DNARDs in the BSD community, thus my preference for that
>machine as the reference platform.

The main differences between the NetBSD ports to the Netwinder, CATS
and DNARD are caused by their different firmware. The rest is well
enough understood that they could have equal status as a reference
platform.

Robert Swindells