Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 1997 10:02:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Hawkins <peter@clari.net.au>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security-digest V3 #12

I want to fourth the motion on the basis that I deal with a number of commercial
vendors and (on the machine over which I have complete control for my
private business where *my* rear is on the line) FreeBSD. I was introduced
to this operating system only 8 months ago and have been stunned by both
its stability and its security. Exploiting holes in the commercial machines
we run is simple. When someone mucks up the root password on a box we
cannot afford to reboot, that is precisely what we do. Under FreeBSD,
those standard exploits (and many others besides) have been plugged
very effectively.

That a non-commercial product outperforms it's commercially produced
counterparts consistently may surprise some, but the reason is
straightforward; to get the "better than average" developer,
pay him/her well. To get the cream and then to get the cream of their
work, offer them an ideal.

FreeBSD is and will remain the operating system of choice for Clarinet
Internet Services. Should a time windfall blow my way, I will endevour
to be more proactive in assisting in the development of this system.

Peter Hawkins,
Clarinet