Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:14:55 +0000
From:      Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade vs. portmaster

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:33:48 +0000, Thomas Mueller stated:

>from STefan Esser:
>
>> I used to be a portupgrade user, long ago (years before the introduction
>> of the new package tools), but then mobed over to using portmaster. =20
>
>> When the package system (PKG-NG) war completely reworked, I heard that
>> portupgrade was better adapted to the new tools, but did not verify that
>> claim (and instead submitted a few fixes for portmaster). =20
>
>> I'm working on a complete rewrite on portmaster, since the original auth=
or
>> has left the FreeBSD project, years ago, and I found it very hard to wra=
>> my mind around his design when I implemented FLAVOR support in portmaste=
r. =20

>> My time is now spent on completing that new portmaster version, but I st=
ill
>> fix problems reported in the current portmaster port (but will not imple=
ment
>> any changes that are not bug-related, to be able to concentrate on the n=
ew
>> version). =20
>
>I'd like the opportunity to try out a new revamped portmaster, having fall=
en
>behind with my FreeBSD installations.
>
>Current portmaster, even before FLAVORS, was clumsy upgrading a large numb=
er
>of ports, especially when there is an upgrade of perl or png.
>
>I see hardly any mention of synth on the freebsd-ports list.  Have synth
>users become disenchanted?

I have been using synth now for several months and have not experienced any
problems. I have found it to be far more competent that either portmaster o=
portupgrade ever were.

>One downside is that synth fails to install build dependencies, so I have =
>pkg install all of these separately, very annoying.

I don't understand your problem. Why install something that is not needed?

>I was bitten just yesterday trying to build cross-compiling tools for Haik=
>when make info was missing because texinfo was built but not installed.

I don't cross-compile, so I have no knowledge of this phenomena. Have you
tried to contact the author and voice your concerns?

>But I was able to recover with pkg install after checking my repository.
>
>With portmaster, I need to specify ports by category/portname rather than
>just portname, for example portmaster www/seamonkey
>
>On my other computer, with MSI Z77 MPOWER motherboard, synth just fumbles =
and
>crashes.
>
>Will both the old and revamped portmaster be maintained, and what will be =
the
>port names, since there can't be two ports both named portmaster?
>
>I used portupgrade before switching to portmaster.
>
>Tom

--=20
Carmel