Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2014 11:36:12 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing user from lan.

On 17/01/2014 02:53, Al Plant wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> Could anyone please send me to a how to on removing an unwanted user
> from the lan on FreeBSD 9 and 8.
> I tried to remove the adduser file and name and I still cant use the
> name that was there before.
>
> I read the man page and cant see from that how to get rid off all the
> parts of the old account.
>
> Thanks,

Remove a user from the *LAN*? Sorry - not enough information here. You
could be talking about removing a user account from a host (i.e. the
opposite of adduser), or removing them from applications like FTP. Many
services use, or can use, different user databases. For example, as
you're talking about the LAN rather than a single machine, are you
talking about a SAMBA account for file sharing with Microsoft boxes?

Before removing a user account, it's important to know what the account
was on (and probably how the service was configured to authenticate users).

If you literally want to remove/block a user on the LAN you're probably
talking about disabling their PC on the LAN - another simple question
with a complex set of answers!

Regards, Frank.