Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 00:14:09 -0500
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unexpected inet6 in FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE

	I have two systems, named www & guest. Both are tracking
FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE, but guest is a bit more current. Neither has IPv6
explicitly enabled, but for some reason, guest insists on configuring
an inet6 interface at boot time ("ifconfig xl0" shows an additional
inet6 address line, not present on www).

	This is causing me some aggravation, as localhost connections
(such as "apachectl fullstatus") are from "[client ::1]" instead of
the old-fashioned  127.0.0.1. To my surprise,
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html>;
doesn't talk about rc.conf at all, and I'm not sure where else this
would be set up.

	Suggestions, references for further reading, or pointers to
the obvious bit which I'm missing all welcomed (please CC me
directly).

>pepper@guest:~$ uname -a
>FreeBSD guest.reppep.com 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Sat Feb
>28 23:56:37 EST 2004
>root@guest.reppep.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>pepper@guest:~$ grep -i v6 /etc/rc.conf
>ipv6_enable="NO"                # Set to YES to set up for IPv6.

						Thank you,

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:               <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;