Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:48:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Eygene Ryabinkin <rea-fbsd@codelabs.ru>
Cc:        Ali Niknam <freebsd-net@transip.nl>, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0: sockets stuck in CLOSED state...

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Eygene Ryabinkin wrote:

> I had already tried to debug this situation and Mike Silbersack
> helped me with patching the kernel.  At that days his patches (that
> went into 7.x) helped, but with higher request rate to the Apache,
> they seem to be back again.  I can try to setup the testbed and
> verify if I will still be able to reproduce them.  Will it be needed?

IIRC, the problem we found then had some interesting root causes, but the
important point was the FreeBSD 7-prerelease was returning a different
errno than FreeBSD 6 (and before) had been returning, which caused Apache
to leak the FD.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a switched
errno in some other error path that's causing similar problems.

-Mike