Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:59:27 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Telling AMR controller to rebuild RAID5 through FreeBSD ...

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >We've just been informed that one of our drives has to be replaced,
> but in
> >order to do so, the machine has to be rebooted, since they can't initiate
> >the rebuild from FreeBSD ... its using one of the MegaRAID
> controllers ...
> >is this, in fact, correct, or do they just not know how to do it?  I'd
> >rather have them hot-swap the drive and rebuild it without having to
> >shutdown the machine ...
>

> This may be related to afaapps*.rpm/afacli.  (At least I've ran into this
> before.  Dell originally released binary drivers to get RH to support the
> PERC arrays, and also released afaappss/afacli to interface with the
> arrays.)  The unofficial Dell PERC/afaapps page is here,
>
> http://www.domsch.com/linux/
>
> This post,
>
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/168/2002/2/0/7903628/
>
> Indicates afacli will run under Linux emulation, so that may be an option.
> (Haven't tried it myself.)
>
> --
> Mike Hoskins		This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
> mike@adept.org		www.adept.org/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html

The afaapps only work with hardware supported under the aac driver.

Also, there is a FreeBSD-native version of the afaapps.  If you go to
the Adaptec website and look under the software downloads that are
available for the 5400S card, there is a package called aaccli.tgz for
FreeBSD.  This will work with the Dell, Adaptec, and HP flavors of
aac hardware.

Scott