Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 11:39:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Jeffrey Wheat <jeff@tad.cetlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2940 and news/web

On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Jeffrey Wheat wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> 	I'm running a Pentium 100, 64Megs of RAM, with an Adaptec 2940U
> and Micropolis 1991 9gig SCSI-2 drive. My question is, is there any way to
> improve the disk I/O performance of the server (running 2.1-Release)? It
> seems that the disk is buried in I/O and drastically affects the performance
> of my server. Any information is greatly appreciated.

	Go out and pick up a couple of extra drives and spread the load.

	If you check out the FAQ distributed for INN, there is a section on
this, but it esssentially boils down to spreading news over multiple spindles.

	Ie. Over here, with a small feed someing in (40meg/day), my setup is
such that df shows:

	/news
	/news/spool
	/news/overview

	The idea, I believe, is that when a user connects for news, they
first have to hit /news to get the active information, then they hit
/news/overview, to get the overview/subject records, and then they hit
/news/spool to get the actual article.  So if you, let's say, 30 users
hitting news at once, it isn't 30 requests queued up for one drive, but
they *all* hit simultaneously, and they *all* go for same newsgroups and
same articles.

	Recommendation would be to grab yourself a 1gig drive to move
the admin stuff to 'active, history, etc' and get a 2 gig drive to move
your overview files over to, and leave news on the 9gig.

	Again, check out the posting (I believe it just came through here,
so it just came out again) in news.software.nntp (I believe) dealing with
FAQs and a much better explanation on what I've said above :)

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc