Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:49:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, jasone@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads .. chopping up 'struct proc'

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I'v been looking a the proc srtucture..
>
> The aim is to eventually move some of the fields into a
> struct KSE (struct schedbox?)
> struct KSEC (struct threadcontext?)
> struct KSEG (struct schedgroup?)

[ ... ]

> I note with [XXX] things I am sure about, or do nut really understand.
> these are usually new fields to do with things like events, or fields
> where the semantics of the feature have not been decided for a
> threaded environment.  E.g. WHO GETS A SIGNAL?

First KSE to execute I suppose.  A signal is just an upcall, so
I'd assume you would want to treat this the same as if a KSE was
preempted.

> Obviously before we can really finish this we need to decide,
> what the scope of signals is.. Who gets externally genrated signals?
> Who gets signals that are the result of an action (e.g. SIGIO, SIGPIPE)?
> WHich signals are diverted when you allocate a signal stack?
> In the same context, what is the scope of aio?
> where are the results delivered? who is responsible for the
> kernel threads that do the work? do we allocate a KSE to run them? etc.etc.

Have the kernel automaticially allocate a separate KSE (or KSEG) with
quantum for aio?

> Does anyone have comments?
> (Everyone has been VERY quiet so far!!!)

Not me :-)  Remember that COMDEX was two weeks ago and last week
(and this weekend) was a holiday week in the US.  I suspect folks
are just plain busy.

--
Dan Eischen