Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:51:52 +0100
From:      Marko Cuk <cuk@nu.cuk.nu>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        grog@FreeBSD.org, Andy Newman <andy@silverbrook.com.au>, Roman Shterenzon <roman@jamus.xpert.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/21148: multiple crashes while using vinum

I had the same problems on IDE and SCSI configuration on 4.0, 4.1, 4.1.1 .
I spent cash on buying 2 x 40Gig IDE Wd's and put them into mirror.
That was a few months ago.

I had crashes also with bridging, but Bosko Milekic and Thomas fixed the
code with a little help and bridge works superb in 4.2 STABLE.

So I was still interested in RAID5 and also very curious about Vinum in 4.2
so I decided to test that thing with same disks ( old SCSI disks , bud good
) and belive or not, it works also under heavy load.
It is strange, but I didn't change anything. Controller was the same
Adaptec, cables were the same, disks also. Bsd was 4.2 STABLE.

Please try it on 4.2 STABLE and report.

I must admit, that I am not a FreeBSD hacker, I don't know many about
debugging and I was very unhelpful to Grog, but he is very sure, that Vinum
works and I don't like his way of thinking about that. I also set him
account on that maschine, to check and debug problems on that maschine and
repair them, but he wasn't interested in solving such problems.
He blamed me for config or some other mistake.

Vinum and RAID5 under 4.1 is not stable. That's all.

Cuk