Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2008 06:47:56 -0500
From:      eculp@cloudmaster.info
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acer 4720Z and Atheros wireless card

Quoting Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>:

> Isaac MacFarlane wrote:
>> Hello all. I am trying to find a *NIX system that will work with this
>> system. Mandriva calls the card an AR5006 and Vista said it was an AR5007=
.
>> Vista worked fine for about a month or so, but I have decided I want to g=
>> all free on my systems. Mandriva will work with the card but locks up aft=
er
>> a few hours requiring a restart. Not really acceptable. And it is the bes=
t I
>> found in the Linux world. Would any of the BSD systems work with this car=
d?
>> Any recommendations would be most appreciated.
>>
>> Isaac MacFarlane
>>

> I believe this will work if you follow the instructions to build a =20
> custom kernel, as in the eeepc:
>
> http://nighthack.org/wiki/EeeBSD
>
> However, this will not be the easiest task if you are not familiar =20
> with FreeBSD in general.

As Manolis says, step one would be to install FreeBSD and see if you =20
are confortable with it.  Then once you have it all running you will =20
want to use the link that Manolis sent that I found very interesting =20
but didn't work for the atheros that I have in my Acer amd64x2 so I =20
used a freebsd patch that works beautifully.  When you get to that =20
point, I or I'm sure other more qualified folks, will be glad to give =20
you a hand.

good luck,

ed