Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 23:28:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jolok <joshualokken@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeing space on /usr

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Jolok wrote:

> yeah, something is definitely not right.
>
> I install FreeBSD 4.5, with no packages other than bash and tcsh; and the
> ports collection.  i then write the xfree86-4.2.0 tarball to my root
> directory.  i rm the old XFree86-4 dir, then unzip the tarball into a new
> XFree86-4 dir.  I then attempt to build the port as normal.  It makes fine,
> but after make install I receive the aforementioned errors, a few minutes
> into the install.  I have done this MANY times now, and it has never worked.
> My /usr directory always reports 23% full before i begin building x.  BTW, i
> am only installing the kernel src.  Ideas?
>
> jolok

I don't know why you're writing the putting the tar ball in your "root"
directory ... probably you're building Xfree 4 in / instead of in
/usr/ports.  There's no need for you to unpack the tarball; the ports
make system does this for you, and puts the stuff in a work directory.
The "make build" (or just "make", or "make all") command does all
the steps up to installation.

You really should have plenty of space.  You said you had a 1.4GB /usr, so
a fourth of that should be only some 400MB.  My XFree-4 tar balls are
about 50MB and the work directory where it built is actually less.

I'm not sure if you're running out of space in /tmp ... you might want to
move /tmp to /usr and do a symlink to it so this problem doesn't arise.

When you respond, please respond to "all" so that freebsd-questions is
included.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC