Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2016 09:07:17 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildkernel does not respect KERNCONF or JOBS in /etc/make.conf

> BUILDKERNELS=PUMPKIN GENERIC

> > to your /etc/src.conf and removing the KERNCONF line from /etc/make.conf
> > before you run it again.  KERNCONF goes on the "make buildkernel" command,
> > not into /etc/make.conf, but should not be necessary at all if /etc/src.conf
> > contains the list of kernels to be built.  (See src.conf(5).)

> - BUILDKERNELS is used in Makefile.inc1 but not listed in neither
>   src.conf(5) nor make.conf(5)
> - KERNCONF is listed in make.conf(5)
> - I use KERNCONF in /etc/make.conf to build two kernels and it works

> So why are you giving this advice?

> Herbert

I would have thought KERNCONF would belong in src.conf, but just checked the man pages, and KERNCONF is listed in man make.conf but not src.conf .

I usually build at least two kernels, one being the custom kernel and the other being GENERIB.

GENERIB differs from GENERIC in not supporting very outdated devices (ISA SCSI cards for instance) but including support from some wi-fi drivers not in GENERIC.  I need rsu.

My question is, do you build modules redundantly, or just once?  I don't want to build the same modules more than once.

Tom