Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2014 23:04:50 -0500
From:      George Neville-Neil <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 network flapping, ix driver unreliable?

On Feb 15, 2014, at 21:32 , Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> =
wrote:

> On 2/15/2014 4:43 PM, George Neville-Neil wrote:
>>=20
>> On Feb 15, 2014, at 15:14 , Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I have FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE installed on two Dell C6100 nodes.  Each =
node has an Intel X520-DA2 dual port 10gig card.  One of the ports on =
each go to a switch using direct attach coaxial cables.  The other port =
is directly connected between the two nodes (think crossover in twisted =
pair terminology) again using direct attach coaxial cables.
>>>=20
>>> On both machines, and on both ports (including the "crossover"), the =
links flap several times per day.
>>>=20
>>> I've pasted the output of lspci -vv and dmesg here:
>>> https://gist.github.com/kev009/9024442
>>>=20
>>> There's nothing outstanding about the setup otherwise.  I suspected =
some interaction with the switch initially but the "crossover" has =
eliminated that suspicion.
>>>=20
>>> It seems the ix driver is not very reliable under common conditions, =
i.e. https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=3D7&t=3D44570 and a =
search of this list.  Any recommendations or tests?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Can you post (to your gist link) the output of sysctl dev.ix ?
>=20
> Hi George,
>=20
> sysctl info added to gist link.  ix0 has been up for around 27 days. =
ix1 for about 24hrs.
>=20

I think this has something to do with it.

dev.ix.0.mac_stats.local_faults: 314
dev.ix.0.mac_stats.remote_faults: 41

The device is seeing errors at the MAC layer, which  I don=92t think a =
driver bug would
cause, though there is always the possibility of a misconfiguration =
causing flapping.
Can you try different cables?

When you hook it to the switch does the switch give better diagnostics?  =
Reading
over the Intel 82599 chip manual is not, shall we say, illuminating,=20
"Number of faults in the local MAC. This register is valid only when the =
link speed is 10 Gb/s.=94

Best,
George