Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 03:31:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      will andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/15434: new port: devel/kdevelop

On 15-Dec-99 Ade Lovett wrote:
>  >   o If you say it is BROKEN for -stable( < 400004), defining USE_NEWGCC
>  >     doesn't make any sense. (I know it may have a sence in the future.)
>  >     I thought it being funny.
>
>  Actually, this reminds me.. the USE_NEWGCC macro in bsd.port.mk is now
>  out of date, it needs to be altered to < 400012 which was when
>  gcc-2.95.2 became the default -current compiler (rev 1.56 of
> sys/sys/param.h)
>
>  There's a few ports out there that have hacks to use the right gcc that
>  can be removed now we can get the same compiler on both -stable and
>  -current.  textproc/aspell springs to mind :)

According to my sgcc script (quick'n'dirty shell script), textproc/aspell is
the ONLY port that has a hack to use the correct gcc. :-)

Gee, don't you feel special, MAINTAINER=        ade@lovett.com..? :-)

I think Satoshi might elect to wait for a little while before changing
USE_NEWGCC to ensure that David O'Brien hasn't forgotten anything in the g++
2.95.2 upgrade. But certainly, such a modification to bsd.port.mk should be
made before 4.0-RELEASE. And I doubt that there have been any real problems
with 2.95.2, since that's been the main compiler for more than a month.

<mutter>
Damn, I need to stop talking about Satoshi like people on Wall Street talk
about Alan Greenspan.. that IS the Federal Reserve versus FreeBSD Ports. :P
</mutter>

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>