Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:10:21 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brendon and Wendy <brendy33@attbi.com>
Cc:        Chris Luke <chrisy@flix.net>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mp_machdep.c patch

Brendon and Wendy wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Chris.
>
> Based on your "top" output Id have to say that HT is not working right on this
> machine at least. I see all proceses on cpus 0 and 1, exactly the same as
> prior to cvsuping and rebuilding. In fact I wonder whether the kernel has
> only seeing one physical CPU and is doing HT on that CPU - completely
> ignoring the second.

You have to enable HT in the BIOS.  If it is not enabled in the
BIOS, it will not add entries to the MP Table for the virtual
processors, and they will not be recognized.

John Baldwin has indicated several times over the past week
that HT is not identified from ACPI information in FreeBSD,
which is the other place to find it, if you do not find it
in the BIOS-augmented MP Table (which is only available on
some BIOS's, and exists primarily to allow HT'ed CPU's to be
recognized by legacy OS's without the ACPI support).

So:

1)	It's not turned on in the BIOS

OR

2)	It's not available at all in the BIOS

-- Terry