Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:49:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not DNS (was: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem)

On Mon, Sep 15, 1997 at 09:21:21PM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
>> As Nate Williams wrote:
>>
>>> NTP, AMD, firewall stuff.  Heck, the default 'setup' assumes it can resolve
>>> hostnames just to configure your IP address, ...
>>
>> Huh?  No, Nate, we've abandoned this long ago.  We are using IP
>> numbers there to solve the chicken-and-egg problems.
>
> So is there a reason for not having named started at the end of
> network_pass1 rather than at the start of pass2 ?  There's even a
> comment in rc saying that without resolv.conf, we need to start named
> before syslogd (it's actually started afterwards).

Possibly.  I haven't got round to look at the problem, but I have
noticed a hang trying to mount nfs file systems at bootup time.   I
solved it by adding an & at the end of the mount command.  The
situation is somewhat complicated by the fact that one of the machines
has been down for some time, so the mounts can't complete.

> The "original" problem that started this thread was that the mount -a
> -t nfs fails when there's no resolv.conf.

Correct.  I wanted to look at that.

Greg