Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:54:31 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getdents()

Quoting Tomasz Formanowski <mathom@pifpaf.pl> (Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:01:47 +0100):

> RD> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:02:41PM +0100, Tomasz Formanowski wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there any hope that this:
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=117010
> >>
> >> will be fixed soon ?
> >>
> >> Linux emulation is unusable now for newer software, like game servers
> >> etc.
>
> RD> in private mails we agreed that tomasz/his-company and me will try
> RD> to cooperate on this on...
>
> RD> hopefully this will fruit some results
>

> We've looked through the code and decided to give linux a try. We've
> been using freebsd for 5 years in production environment and it's a
> good system. So we wont be fixing this bugs, sorry. If it were only
> this one bug, than why not, but ...
>
> There were problems with: SMP support, which we hoped would be fixed
> in 7.x releases. And maybe it were, but linuxolator is a mess there.

Uhm. It works for a lot of people and we even run the linux regression
tests form the linux test project
(http://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel/ltp), so if you have problems it
would be nice if you could provide some more info than just "a mess".
Could you please give instructions how to reproduce the problems you
have?

> Bottomline is, that not only 2.6 kernel support is incomplete, there

Which version did you use for compat.linux.osrelease? Anything apart
from 2.4.2 and 2.6.16 is not supported ATM.

> is also faulty 2.4 support. Apart from getdents() problems (which
> probably is really a deeper problem - looks like programs crash not on
> getdents() but on closedir(). just as something had freed the
> descriptor), there seems to be a problem with fork() event in 2.4
> kernel and fc4 libs. Programs like team speak 2 and unreal-server
> crash when trying to fork.

I remember reports from users of team speak that it works for them.
What is the osrelease value for the tests you did? Which linux base did
you use? Is this an install from scratch, or did you test on a system
which has seen updates of the linux ports? If it is the later, are you
willing to test again with a clean /compat/linux/ (no linux ports
installed) and a reinstall of the linux ports? Does the system survive
several buildworlds in a row (to rule out hardware problems)? Which
FreeBSD version did you test?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
BOFH excuse #102:

Power company testing new voltage spike (creation) equipment