Date:      12 Feb 2000 14:04:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Ronald G. Arnold Jr." <rarnold@colemantx.com>
Cc:        <Fravlahua@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how many?

"Ronald G. Arnold Jr." <rarnold@colemantx.com> writes:

> I would agree with Craig Burgess.  I too, am new to FreeBSD and also
> getting away from Linux.

Well, then welcome to FreeBSD!  Both of you.

> I can't afford the CDs and can't seem to get it by booting with the
> boot floppies and ftping from freebsd.com, so I've been ftping all the
> files from there and saving them in Windows and have been downloading
> for 5 days so far, day and night.

> I use a dial up connection and only achieve a 28.8k, so I can't get
> much at a time.  I was told that it would require about 25 floppies,
> or install from a DOS partition.

I don't have a much better modem than you.  Mine's also a 28.8 Kbit/s
modem, but the installation of the basic "bin" package, the "doc" and
"ports", along with the statically linked binaries of "cvsup" took a
little less than 4 hours.

After that I had a really minimal install, but it was a FreeBSD system
running there.  Another night's run to CVSup all the sources and the
ports, and I had an updated kernel and "world".

It certainly sounds better than having to download the entire thing,
which will probably need a lot more days than just 5.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr