Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 11:00:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Hybsch <micke@dynas.se>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   (at least) 2 problems with 950322-SNAP

I has running 2.0 at home and felt that I should try 950322-SNAP.
I have now spent 2 evenings trying to install it without success.

Day 1:

I downloaded the distribution on a spare UFS partition and made the 3 floppy
disks. The installation newfs'ed the / and /usr partitions and loaded the
cpio floppy. After that the problems starts.

The generic kernel won't boot. The matcd driver says something about
"trying to fix" and then goes into a endless (> 2 min) loop printing:
"matcd0: after reading status byte, buss didn't go idle"

No problem. I just use the -c options to disable the matcd driver.
In the configuration I type "disable matcd0".
It says that there is no such device. I type "ls".
The line for the matcd driver looks funny,
something like "match  int0x77777777 ...".
In short: I cannot boot the generic kernel and I cannot disable the matcd
driver.

Next, I boot the fixit floppy and copy the fixit kernel to the hard disk.
(It boots (from floppy) and I only need the wd driver to install the system).

Now when I boot the fixit kernel, the machine resets itself before
the kernel loading is complete.
After printing the information about text and data sizes, there is a new field
inside brackets that wasn't there in 2.0. Just after printing one of these
numbers is fails.
This just happens with the fixit kernel if I try to boot it from wd0.

Day 2:

At work I download the 950322-SNAP source on a 2.0-RELEASE machine and
build myself a generic kernel without the matcd driver.

At home I successfully boot the homemade kernel, and the installation goes on.
After installing the bindist it complains that the checksums doesn't match
for the manpages. I drop out into a shell just to find that the checksum
failed because after installing bindist the do_cksum.sh script find cksum
in /usr/bin instead of in /stand.
The cksum in /usr/bin terminates with signal 10 bus error - core dumped.
A closer investigation finds that all dynamically linked programs fail
in the same way. The only diagnostics I was able to do was to find out that
if I rename ld.so, the programs correctly say "No ld.so". If I leave ld.so
and remove all shared libraries it still fails with signal 10.

I tried to mount /usr on the fixit floppy it case there where some problems
with my homemade kernel. I also tried to reinstall the system
from scratch, but the "bus error" problem won't go away.

Tonite I will try the 2.0-RELEASE ld.so.
I need some ideas of what could be wrong or I'll have to

My machine is a 486-33 VLB with 2 ide drives, a Sony CDU33A,
one SB16 MCD and 16 M RAM. All (but SB16) found by the generic kernel before
matcd0 failed.

--
 Mikael Hybsch                        Email: micke@dynas.se
 DynaSoft, Dynamic Software AB        Phone: +46-8-615 84 00