Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 2000 00:25:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Subject:   Re: Great American Gas Out

On 05-Mar-00 Doug Barton wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> On 05-Mar-00 Mark Ovens wrote:
>> > On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 11:32:02AM -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
>> >
>> > BTW, in this thread there has been mush talk of SUV's. What does
>> > SUV stand for? (I can work out that the "V" is vehicle:))
>>
>> Sport Utility Vehicle.  Usually a kind of 4x4 Jeep looking vehicle.
>> The type of vehicle you would use to go off-roading or to drive
>> across Alaska or something.  The problem is that people drive these
>> things around suburbs. :)
>>
>> They aren't very fuel efficient, but are just a silly status symbol.
>
>       Man... I just love it when the left-wingers come out of the woodwork.
>:) How fuel efficient SUV's are depends on the SUV. My Toyota 4Runner
> gets 19 MPG on average. I've gotten 22 MPG on long freeway drives. I
> actually use the cargo capacity of my vehicle to haul stuff around, but
> I wanted an SUV instead of a truck so that I could lock my stuff up, and
> carry people when I'm not carrying cargo.

/me is not a leftie

Anyways, my little Mercury Lynx gets about 40 mpg on the highway, so
nyah, your SUV still gets poor mileage in comparison.  However, if you
actually need the storage space, that's one thing.  That still doesn't
mean that 90% of 'merkins that buy these things don't need the space and
just want the status symbol. :)