Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:02:54 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Eric Haug <ejh@mnw.eas.slu.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk drive errors Toshiba 6200M

At 8:13 AM -0500 7/1/98, Eric Haug wrote:
> Hi all,
> I suspect that both disk drives may have problems
> but before i attempt to get warranty repair
> Could this be software related?
>
> I bought two 6200M's and both mother boards exhibit similiar
> problems.
> I have configured two 6200M's into one with 64M memory and one
> processor.  Two disks by  MICROPOLIS of model 4345WS

I didn't look at the errors you listed, but I would note that we
(some of my friends and I) did have some problems with the disks in
some of the Toshiba 6200m's we bought.  There is a firmware upgrade
for the disk that you can get, and at least in my case that solved
all the problems I was having with the disk.  We ended up updating
the firmware for the disks in all the Toshiba's we bought.

You can get the firmware upgrade from:

    http://www.addit.de/SUPPORT/micr-eproms.htm

You want the one called something like X502_4.exe.  You'll also
have to go to the adaptec site to find how to build a dos floppy
with ASPI support.  In our exerience this site (the one in germany)
was often down or very busy, but if you keep trying (say, every 20
minutes) then you'll eventually get it OK.

One additional note:  If you go to do the first step, and you get
a big red dialog (of sense data, I think it was) with a few numbers
blinking in it, then the update isn't working.  In our case, the
problem was because of some of the BIOS settings we had setup (in
the SCSISelect part of the boot-up sequence).  I think it was
because we had turned on Ultra-wide support, or some option
negotiation thing.  So, if you get that red screen, don't panic.
Just start fiddling around with scsi options until the update
works OK.  (and remember to do both steps of the update)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute