Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 16:06:08 +0200
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        Jesper Gertz <j-og-j@mail.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 and danish characters

Hello Jesper,

* Jesper Gertz <j-og-j@mail.dk> [2002-04-08 14.37 +0200]:
> I can't get vi an vim to accept danish characters æ,ø and å
>
> At the same time I don't have any problems by typing æ,ø and å in the ee editor.

How about on the console, or in an xterm? Can you type those
characters there?

> I have installed the X-user distribution set, and I have pointed at danish keyboard layout in Sysinstall.

You may also want to set

    export LC_CTYPE=da_DK.ISO8859-1 (or -15 for Euro) in a sh-style

shell, or

    setenv LC_CTYPE da_DK.ISO8859-1 (or -15) in a csh-style shell

in your shells environment file (often .login or .profile).

Oh, and make sure that you actually use iso or iso15 fonts; I have
these lines in my /etc/rc.conf:

font8x14="iso15-8x14"
font8x16="iso15-8x16"
font8x8="iso15-8x8"