Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 11:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, eivind@yes.no, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: InfoWorld brawl esclates

According to David Greenman:
> >I was under the impression that dg had recently published hard numbers
> >showing this trend. It'd certainly help to quote them there.
>
>    No, I've never quoted hard numbers. I think doing so, as a contractor for
> WC CDROM, would be unethical and possibly illegal. I think it would be best
> to drop this type of 'attack' against the Stallmanites as it will only serve
> to further polarize people against us and I definately DON'T want that to
> happen. We should be extending welcoming hands to the Linux people and
> working on converting them to FreeBSD, not alienating them with this sort of
> rhetoric.

	Finally a breath of fresh air.  We in the BSD ``camp''
	would do better to co-operate that compete.  Any victory
	would be Pyrrhic at best.

	One reason we humans have survived these score millennia
	is because cooperation precedes competition.  Individual
	effort sometimes yield brilliant results; cooperative,
	maximum.  Both operating systems would gain if features
	from each were shared.

	Both the *BSD and *Linux OS's agree with the free software
	paradigm; it's a matter of degree.

	gary