Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:24:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joseph D. Orthoefer" <j_orthoefer@tia.net>
To:        Scott Turvey <scottt@nacm.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pci mach64 blanks screen. Was: User and Developer Support

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Scott Turvey wrote:

> i am having a problem getting freebsd to display during=20
> boot using an ati pci-based svga card.  when it get to the video =
> portion of the boot process, the signal to my monitor disappears =
> and the monitor goes into powersave mode.  a regular ati isa-based =
> card works fine.  anyone seen this?

I have the same problem w/ an AST Bravo pentium-100.  It has a Mach64
ati-264ct chip integrated on the mother board.  When probing for the sc0
or pc0 device it blanks the screen and stays blank.  With a syscons kernel
I can run XFree86 3.1.2's SVGA server in its 320x200 fallback mode, which
also makes the virtual terminals accessible again.  There has been some
discussion of getting the mach64 X server working w/ it on
comp.windows.x.i386 and on comp.os.linux.x newsgroups.  So far none of the
things they have mentioned have worked.

Joseph D. Orthoefer