Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:11:16 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, auryn@zirakzigil.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with link aggregation + sshd

--------------enigC9EB048CDD20BADFA44B3D8A

 schrieb Pete French am 28.08.2012 11:48 (localtime):
>> No answer, so it seems that link aggregation doesn't really work in fr=
eebsd,
>> this may help others with the same problem...
> I used to use LCAP a lot - this was a few years ago, but the critical
> point was that it only worked if all the cables went to the same
> logcial switch. Using a pair of switches for redundancy works fine, as
> long as they are of the type which stacvk and look like a single physic=
al
> switch software-wise.

Link aggregation can never work with two separate switches! LACP and
static trunking require both sides to bundle the same trunk. which is
impossible for two separate switches.
For redundancy, there is the SpanningTreeProtocol, which FreeBSD
supports in bridge (4) (more preferrably RSTP).

> Saying "it doesnt really work in freebsd" is, to be honest, not so
> far off the mark (if somewhat harshly phrased) - but it can be made to
> behave if you do it in a certain way, and when it does it runs very nic=
ely.

In that case, it's nothing to do with FreeBSD!

-Harry