Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:29:00 -0500
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "hugle" <hugle@vkt.lt>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw forward alternative in IPF ?

Sure ipnat and IPFW can and do play together very well. I had
problems with IPFW keep-state rules and IPFW/NATD. The Natd function
is a subroutine launched by the divert rule. I removed the divert
rule and turned off IPFW_nat in rc.conf and added ipfilter-ipnat to
rc.conf.  IPFILTER defaults to pass all traffic so by just using
ipnat all the Nating gets done outside of IPFW. IPNAT does have
forward rules.  After an while I converted all my IPFW rules to
IPFILTER and got rid of IPFW all together. I never compile IPFW or
IPFILTER into the kernel, just let FBSD load the binary modules at
boot time. I found IPFILTER to be easier to use and configure using
the 'quick' option. The only reason to use IPFW is if you use
dummynet for bandwidth control. I know the FBSD handbook misleads
the reader into believing IPFW is the best firewall but that is
because IPFW is an internal FBSD development project.

http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/ipf-howto.html#TOC_1