Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 01:36:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dfr@nlsystems.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday

> } The correct way to do this, IMO, is a back-off/retry, which would
> } unlock the lock and queue the operation for retry, which would
> } reacquire the lock.
>
> Wouldn't you have to relock the parent before unlocking the lock (nasty
> because it reverses the locking order and might cause a deadlock).

You would have to unlock the child *then* unlock the parent to do this,
yes.  That was the point of the "relookup" reference for rename, which
has to open a race window to do the locks correctly.  Since the operation
is supposed to appear atomic, a failure + retry is an OK outcome.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.