Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:42:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Shigetoh Kumagai <shigetoh@zip.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Console frozen when X-server exited

On Tuesday, 29 December 1998 at 13:50:30 +1100, Shigetoh Kumagai wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> You're probably out of luck here.  The X server is responsible for
>> resetting the console, and if it is killed, it doesn't happen.
>>
>> You can restart the server from the telnet session.  There's a good
>> (but not excellent) chance that it will work.
>
> Thank you for your reply!
>
> I made it work by starting from one of telnet session from another
> machine.
>
> Well, everything works under X-Window, however when I close my X session,
> the PC console is still locked. So I had to start X again from telnet. I
> wish there are way or tool to refresh or reset the console so I do not
> have to reboot soon.
>
> I wonder how this resetting console should be done. Is there any place or
> documentatoins I can look at?

As I said, you're out of luck.

> BTW, I found kbd_mode(1) but not much effect on console itself(it's only
> for keyboard, isn't it?).

Well, it's supposed to work, but it's not a FreeBSD program, and it
often doesn't.

> Keyboard and screen works when
> 1) X is running
> a) I can switch to console using ALT+CTL+1, then back to X session
> pressing ALT+F4. However there is no login prompt or shell session visible
> on console when pressing ALT+F1, ALT+F2 or ALT+F3, and no response to
> keyboard in either virtual console.

If it's only a problem with the login prompt, you can try killing the
shell (or whatever) on that virtual terminal.  To find what's running
on a specific vt (in this example /dev/ttyv0), do:

  # ps tv0

The `t' option specifies ``only processes running on this terminal'',
and ``v0'' is the last two characters of ``/dev/ttyv0''.

Greg