Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 20:09:05 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Olausson <thomas.olausson@b3works.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: here's a contributor

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 05:37:17PM -0800, Thomas Olausson wrote:
> I just joined the doc mailing list
> and would like to contribute to documentation.

Marvellous.  Welcome aboard.

> Areas where I can contribute is:
> Linux->FreeBSD migration
> Firewalling
> Samba

All things we could use help on.  Of the three, I think the thing we're
most lacking is "Linux -> FreeBSD" stuff -- the existing docs about
firewalls and Samba are reasonably OS neutral.  I've been saying for a
long time that we need a "FreeBSD for a Linux user" document, that covers
the differences between the two systems (or between a FreeBSD and a Redhat
system, a Debian system, a SuSE system, and so on).

> Where do I start?

Read the documentation project primer at

    http://www.FreeBSD.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/

That consists of many small, linked, HTML files.  If you want one big file
(easier to print) add "book.html" to the end of that URL.

The primer gives a technical introduction to the project.  It's long,
but don't let that put you off.  If you don't fancy learning the markup
and stuff we can do the markup from plain text for you (or, at least,
someone will).

> How am I supposed to contact to be doing this?

Keep in touch with the list.  When you've written something you want
people to look at put it up on a website somewhere[1], and post an
announcement to this list about it.  You should cross post the announcement
to other lists as appropriate -- for example, a "FreeBSD for Linux admins"
document could be announced on the -questions list as well.

Hope that helps.

[1]  If you can't put it up on a website, let me know, and I will.