Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:34:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sjr@home.net
Subject:   Re: sysctl on boot.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009181450220.47170-100000@freefall.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
> : On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Warner Losh wrote:
> :
> : > A short term fix is to just rerun /etc/rc.sysctl at the end of the
> : > boot sequence, just before the secrelevel change.  Stephen's PR
> : > suggests this with a patch.  I think it is good, but wanted to get
> : > some feedback from others before doing this.
> :
> : rc.sysctl_early and rc.sysctl_late?
>
> I worry about a gratuitous change to the name.  However, I could
> easily see rc.sysctl have an early file and a late one settable by
> rc.conf

	If I can speak from the "average user" standpoint, this scheme is
fraught with disaster. In the long run it will be much easier to fix the
sysctl's that can't be set twice than it would be to try and get users to
figure out which ones are "early" and which ones are "late." This also
accomplishes the task of making things work the way they should in the
first place. :)

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."