Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:34:56 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Sukmin Jeong <jsm@cm.ph.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

Sukmin Jeong wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
>   I have a question regarding using a modem on freeBSD.
>
>   I am using a Dell computer (Dimension V series) with an external modem
> of I-O DATA (DFML-560). I tried to connect to my Internet Service
> Provider (ISP) with "ppp" command after I modified ppp configuration files.
> But I could not succeed with a message "DialModem failed: dial failed".
> On the other hand, the connection to my ISP
> from other computer was succesful with the same modem and setups in
> configuration files. The only difference, I think, is that the method
> of dialing: my phone uses a "pulse" mode in contrast to the succesful
> "tone" mode. I want to know whether there is any way to control the method
> of dialing: pulse and tone.

ATDT12345  -  for tone

ATDP12345  -  for pulse

I wouldn't have thought that this is your problem. Please post your
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.

>   I am looking forward to your kind reply.
>
>   Thank you.
>
>   Sukmin Jeong
>
>   Institute of Physics
>   Univ. of Tsukuba
>   Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba 305, Japan
>   Tel: 0298-53-6118
>   Fax: 0298-53-4492
>   e-mail: jsm@cm.ph.tsukuba.ac.jp

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

           My homepage http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~markov
Mark Ovens, CNC Apps Engineer,   |    mailto:marko@uk.radan.com
Radan Computational Ltd          |         http://www.radan.com
Bath, England. CAD/CAM solutions | FreeBSD - The Power To Serve
for the Sheetmetal Work industry.|       http://www.freebsd.org