Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 20:46:27 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for FreeBSD Update mirrors for 7.2-RELEASE

--------------enig9EA252BA09B9438510A8A414

Colin Percival wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> When 7.1-RELEASE came out, FreeBSD Update was overwhelmed by the burst =
of
> traffic as thousands of people tried to upgrade at once.  I'd like to
> make sure
> this doesn't happen again, so I'm looking for some extra temporary mirr=
or
> capacity.

How are the servers chosen by freebsd-update? The same question for
portsnap. What I'm hinting at is: is there some geography involved?

I could provide you with a server in Eastern Europe but it's very badly
connected with USA.

> Since I'm sure people will ask: I'm not looking for extra permanent
> mirrors at
> the moment.  The FreeBSD Update mirroring code currently consists of "C=
olin
> sshes into servers and copies bits around from the shell", so until I'v=
> made
> some improvements to that I don't really want to have any more mirrors =
than
> necessary.

Hmm, if requests such as these are going to happen often, you probably
should. If the front-end needs only HTTP, could you modify the backend
so the updates are propagated with rsync and a self-maintained web of
update servers can emerge similar to "normal" mirrors?