Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 05:12:20 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why dual boot?

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > I don't see any real benefit to the ethnic
> > cleansing of hard disks, apart from it
> > permitting you to pretend that coresidence
> > problems don't exist.
>
> The less complexity you have in a configuration, the more stable it will be.

Can you back this statement up?  Complexity is an emergent
property of even incredibly simple-seeming systems.  See:

	Growing Artificial Societies
	Joshua M. Epstein, Rovert L. Axtell
	MIT Press
	ISBN: 0262550253

and

	Nonlinear Dynamics, Mathematical Biology and Social Science
	(Santa Fe Institute Studies in the Science of Complexity.
	 Lecture Notes, Vol 4)
	Joshua M. Epstein
	Perseus Press
	ISBN: 0201959895

and

	The Economy As an Evolving Complex System
	(Sante Fe Institute Studies in the Sciences of Complexity.
	 Lecture Notes, Vol 5)
	Philip W. Anderson, David Pines
	Perseus Press
	ISBN: 0201156857

> I note that getting dual-boot configurations to work seems to require effort
> far out of proportion to the results obtained.

No, I noted it.  You appear to be re-noteing it to support
the idea that it shouldn't be done, rather than my point,
which was that it shouldn't require monumental effort.

Why you are for maintaining the status quo of monumental
effort, or what agenda such a position serves, is a mystery
to me.

> There is much to be said for having two machines.  In particular, it lets
> you do all the things that involve one machine interacting with another, and
> when you are running a very net-savvy OS like FreeBSD, being able to use all
> the network stuff is a huge advantage.

I guess tyhis is OK for a developer, but developers are not
the target audience of a "test drive", nor of a CDROM that's
putatively usable by the averay Windows end user.

> Also, I'm never obligated to drop
> what I'm doing to reboot; rebooting a machine to change OS is a clean
> sweep--you are not just closing one application, you are completely blasting
> all work in progress and moving to a completely different world.  It's like
> going from the office to home, or vice versa.  If all you need is one
> application, this is a very high price to pay for switching.

Yes, it is.  Which is why one hopes that after successfully
"test driving" FreeBSD, the user will format their Windows
partition to provide it with more disk space.  8-).

On the other hand, one would hope they would keep the Windows
for those applications where the Application Barrier to Entry
of Microsofts Monopolistic practices, as determined by a U.S.
Federal Court in its Findings Of Fact, have prevented from
being available on FreeBSD (yet), but then use FreeBSD for
everything else.

Worst case, they should be able to use the free version of
VMWare under FreeBSD to have both at the same time; best case,
the WINE 1.0 release will render the need for Windows itself
limited to those DLLs that Microsoft bundles with the OS
instead of the application in order to tie the application to
their OS.

-- Terry