Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:45:10 +0000
From:      curtis <ufkartfm@pacific.net>
To:        sproctor@microline.org, "freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DEC Multia

> Anyone had any luck installing FreeBSD in the DEC Multia?

(smile) Yes and No

Via the NetBSD method, I managed to build enough 'stuff' to get a
FreeBSD kernel header to appear; however, it would not work all
of the time (1 in 3 tries) due to ncr0 falling asleep.

When I moved to 3.0, I wiped everything, started fresh, and have
been trying various combinations of kern.flp/mfsroot.gz. (smile)
i have never gotten past a 'READ ONLY' system, but if you want to
see it 'sort of work' then:

I do it using three machines (ymmv):

p2/FreeBSD 3.0 running minicom (serial terminal for multia)
multia (target machine) connected to p2 via serial port and hub
alpha xlt300 (holds FreeBSD/alpha SNAPs) and connected to hub

If you can find 3.0-19981031-SNAP, use the kern.flp and mfsroot.gz
from the "floppies" directory.  they produce the following headers:

FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision
(jkh@beast.cdrom.com, Tue Oct 27 07:13:06 PST 1998)

FreeBSD 3.0-19981031-SNAP #0: Sun Nov  1 06:33:49 GMT 1998
    jkh@beast.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BOOTMFS

and will take you to here:

/stand/sysinstall running as init on serial console

These are the predefined terminal types available to
sysinstall when running stand-alone.  Please choose the
closest match for your particular terminal.

1 ...................... Standard ANSI terminal.
2 ...................... VT100 or compatible terminal.
3 ...................... FreeBSD system console (color).
4 ...................... FreeBSD system console (monochrome).

Your choice: (1-4)2
[snip]
At this point I do an '"Express"/binaries & kernel sources' install
via ftp from the XLT 300.  when it is finished and tells me it is
going to reboot, the following will happen:

syncing disks... 9 7 2 done
Rebooting...

halted CPU 0

halt code = 5
HALT instruction executed
PC = fffffc000044fca0

CPU 0 booting

Unexpected Machine Check through vector 00000067

[snip - 'lots of messages']

Brk 0 at 0012F928

0012F928! BPT    <<<--- where it stops and i turn off the machine,
wait about a minute, and turn it back on (power cycle).

At this point, I insert another boot disk made from kern.flp:
3.0-19981108-SNAP and boot it via the srm console. the header says:
FreeBSD/alpha SRM disk boot, Revision
(root@sloth.noc.erols.net, Sat Nov  7 15:59:44 GMT 1998)
[snip]
name of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
# df
Filesystem  512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
da0a            871262   335338   466224    42%    /
# uname -a
FreeBSD  3.0-19981107-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-19981107-SNAP #0: Sat Nov  7
17:58:41 GMT 1998
root@sloth.noc.erols.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/BOOTMFS  alpha
# pwd
/
# ls
.cshrc          boot.config     etc             mnt             stand
.profile        boot.help       kernel          modules         sys
COPYRIGHT       cdrom           kernel.GENERIC  proc            tmp
bin             compat          kernel.config   root            usr
boot            dev             lkm             sbin            var
# cd
# pwd
/root
# ls /usr/src/sys
Makefile        ddb             libkern         netinet         pccard
alpha           dev             miscfs          netipx          pci
boot            gnu             modules         netkey          posix4
cam             i386            msdosfs         netnatm         sys
coda            isa             net             netns           ufs
compile         isofs           netatalk        nfs             vm
conf            kern            netatm          pc98
# vi test
ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: Read-only file system
#

Have Fun,   curtis

--
curtis - ufkartfm@pacific.net - site administrator for Nobody
      I want Nobody to control my life!  How about you?