Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:10:55 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        John Gold <Gold@kr8.com>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual processor motherboard recommendation for freebsd web/database server

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 03:25:24PM -0000, John Gold wrote:
> Hi,
> could anyone recommend a dual processor motherboard for a web/database
> server running freebsd? I would like it to support two intel PIII 800 mhz
> cpu's (fcpga socket 370) and will be running a raid disk subsystem. So
> far the best choice I have found is a Supermicro 370DL3. Does anyone have
> any other suggestions or recommendations, good or bad experiences?

At work we are using the Intel STL2 with 2 Intel PIII 800 mhz cpu's and 2
gig of ram. These boards can take up to 4 gig with no problem. I am not a
big fan of the on-board ether. I have had several (3 or 4) go nuts and spew
badly formed IP packets. In these cases we drop in an intel 10/100 either
card. YMMV. The on-board video is fine for console access but since we use
these as servers in a rack we don't use the video much. Here in San
Francisco we are paying $680 for the motherboard. OH! did I mention the
on-board SCSI? 2 channels, one wide and the other ultra-wide. Dual IDE
channels and 6 PCI slots, 2 64-bit/66MHz and 4 32-bit/33MHz.

A damn nice motherboard. If they were just not so damn expensive!

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org