Date:      Sat, 10 May 2008 15:44:59 +0200
From:      Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode plane 1 in rxft-unicode

Le Sam 10 mai 08 à  9:07:40 +0200, Andrew Pantyukhin <infofarmer@FreeBSD.org>
 écrivait :
> I wonder if anyone succeeded in getting subj working. The
> simplest way to test it is:
>  - install a plane one font (e.g. I've just committed code2001)

Thanks for adding this one!

>  - verify it's working in firefox (after a restart)
>  - add something like 'xft:Code2001:size=19,xft:' to
>    'URxvt*font:' in .Xresources, and merge it with
>    xrdb -merge < .Xresources

BTW, it's possible to just run

urxvt -fn "xft:Code2001:pixelsize=14"

>  - restart rxvt and try to view a text file with the symbols
>
> A good test case is this: http://www.code2000.net/oneplane.htm
>
> Wikipedia title page (with languages) also contains some plane
> one symbols.
>
> My rxvt is compiled with --enable-everything (which includes
> --enable-unicode3) and with all encodings. Ctrl+Shift+Click shows
> code point fffd for plane one characters, but then I've never
> seen it show codes over 16 bits.

It's fine within firefox, but there is a problem with programs in
console mode, like rxft-unicode or mined, or cat. I have checked with
the file available at
<http://www.sirfsup.com/programmingToolBox/internationalization/unicode-example/unicode-example-utf8.txt>;
and all languages are well displayed, excepted the lines from Bhutan,
Canada - Nunavut, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia and India (Hindi).
Actually, for these languages, it seems that Code2001 is not used, and a
square is displayed with the built-in support font.
--
Th. Thomas.